Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cassoulet D'Amore


No, I am not ashamed that my first main dish post is a casserole. Because, let's be honest, although they try to romanticize it by calling it a "cassoulet," we all know a casserole when we see one. But in its defense, it IS the Casserole of Love and Chad did in fact love it. I thought it was...pretty good. I actually made it because my doctor has been on me about eating more protein and between the parm, beans and meat, this little 8x8 wonder packs in a whopping 120 grams of protein! So for all you pregnant or nursing moms out there who need protein, or if you just want to please your husband (or FHE bros), I present the Cassoulet D'Amore.

1 1/4 lbs sweet Italian sausage, thinly sliced (Ashley, I recommend the Sunflower Market's)
6 green onions, sliced
6 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
14 oz can stewed Italian tomatoes
2, 15 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (next time I would NOT use Italian flat leaf like I did this time)
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1/2 cup fresh Italian or French breadcrumbs
1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine the sausage, green onions, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute until sausages begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in fresh tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, beans, parsley and seasonings. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into an 8x8 baking dish. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over Cassoulet. Bake until Cassoulet is heated through, bubbling around edges and light brown on top, about 35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment